Hurth transmission maintenance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stolat

USA
595 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  20:36:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

I'm a newbie to inboards here. So far from a handling perspective I think they're great!!! I'm just trying to be proactive here and find out from anyones personal experience what type of maintenance is involved with the transmissions. I hear they are extremely expensive to replace and want to make sure that I take proper care of them so they last a long time. The boat is a 93 330 Sundancer powered with twin carbeurated 454's. Its an aft cabin boat hence the transmissions are V-drives. Thanks in advance.

--Steve

Morgan Rose
1993 330 Sea Ray Sundancer
Patchogue, N.Y.

CurrentSea

USA
12411 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  22:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check your nuts are torqued.
Thats all I know so far!

2009 Regal 4080
Volvo Diesel IPS

Edited by - CurrentSea on Jun 03 2009 22:48:44
Go to Top of Page

Stolat

USA
595 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  20:22:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dave

Morgan Rose
Patchogue, N.Y.
Go to Top of Page

Billylll

USA
19035 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  21:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the fluid levels periodically. Even know I put 2 new Walter V drives in my boat one kept losing fluid it ended up being a damaged seal that occurred during the re-power. Yes make sure your shaft flange and transmission flang bolts are tight. In my case I have 2 warning lights to make sure I have proper water flow through the drives. The lights are only on at idle. My V drives and transmissions are separate units.
Bill

WIRELESS ONE,
36 Gulfstar
Trawler
Little Egg, N.J.
Go to Top of Page

Double D

USA
10920 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  22:25:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes....check your fluid EVERY time before you go out.......the tranny fluid runs thru a cooler.....cooled by salt water. You want to make sure the two fluids remain seperate.

I had a cooler let go from one day to the next.....good thing I caught it ....before it did any damage. I now check oil in engines and trannys DAILY..............

-------------------------------------

Edited by - Double D on Jun 04 2009 22:44:31
Go to Top of Page

vic33004

USA
1480 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  08:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you should get an owners manual and reference the fluid change interval reccomended by the mfg. regardless of how many hours of use specified on the interval, i would change the fluid and filter screen at least every 3 years. as others have noted checking the fluid and a visual inspection every time you use the boat is prudent.

Vic33004

02 Regal 4260
Go to Top of Page

About Time

USA
240 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  09:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a special procedure to check fluid level's.
Different when the trans is hot/cold.
Run boat for at least 1/2 hour, get motor and transmission fluid HOT.
Shut down, wear gloves, and read level on dip stick.
If low add just enough to get to full line
If you check the fluid cold you starve the tranny when on plane.
Not doing this just cost me a bunch.
Abouttime
Go to Top of Page

Stolat

USA
595 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  21:05:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
vic,

Where are the filter screen? Lets presume we are talking about the port transmission and that once I find that filter I will know where to find it on the other transmission. I do not know if they were changed last year (different owner) but I know that my mechanic did NOT change them this year. I would like to address this just to make sure I stay on top of things. Thanks a bunch.

--Steve

Morgan Rose
Patchogue, N.Y.
Go to Top of Page

Sandy

USA
8203 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  21:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the 630 & 800 models have a small cylindrical replaceable filter on the top stb. rear of the transmission, not sure any of their others have one. It could also be a good idea to backflush the RW transmission cooler every year or so as weed has an uncanny ability to get past those tiny RW intake strainer holes. I was just surprised at the stuff that I just flushed out of my 2003's downstream of good Groco RW strainers.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

comptiger5000

683 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  06:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About Time - My tranny dipsticks have separate markings for fluid levels when hot and cold for exactly this reason.

The Other Gary

Canada
8149 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  06:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hurth tranny filters are stainless steel and are washable. Be careful of the O Rings.

Gary Peck 1997 Bayliner 3988 MY, twin 330 Cummins

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns,,,,, It was called Schindler's List
Go to Top of Page

Sandy

USA
8203 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  12:18:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by comptiger5000

About Time - My tranny dipsticks have separate markings for fluid levels when hot and cold for exactly this reason.

Mine too , on transmission & crancase sticks.. I made the cold line after 1st confirming proper level when hot. On my VD's the levels are nearly the same.

Sandy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 1.23 seconds to load Snitz Forums 2000