Such a sad loss. Rest in Peace Les.

Ken

2008 58 Sedan Bridge
Go to Top of Page

Captain Dan

USA
5008 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2020 :  15:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to Les, for a couple of decades I have had lunch almost every day with scores of friends, of which I have only met one in person. As much as I miss that thick Boatfix catalog that came to the house in a plain white wrapper every year, I will miss Les much, much more. RIP GTBC.

I open carry to normalize open carry.
Go to Top of Page

Riverbed

USA
3390 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2020 :  19:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This news is so heartbreaking and painful, like a kick in the stomach, it hurts and lingers. The class and dignity that Les displayed on a daily basis never left him. Look at the people on this thread - world class boaters all influenced one way or another by his subtile wit, humor and knowledge. Love to you Elaine and cheers to you GTBC...
Go to Top of Page

SteveG

USA
14832 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2020 :  22:07:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sad news. Elaine, so sorry for your loss. Les and this site are what hooked me on boating for good many many years ago. I remember the lobster bake at Brian's house, with Les and Elaine, Steve (Rodney) and others. And our Christmas lunches each year for a few years. The GTBC was one of a kind, and even though I didn't see him much, or for quite a while, I feel a tremendous void right now in my heart. RIP Les. :(

Steve - 1989 Viking 35 Convertible
Go to Top of Page

Rustydog

USA
769 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2020 :  18:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Condolences. RIP

Ken
Go to Top of Page

Roy

319 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2020 :  21:48:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed meeting him in person by a few minutes at the Ft.Lauderdale boat show years ago. Very sorry to hear that is the closest I'll ever come.

"Livin' life in the laid back lane" - Sunny Jim
Go to Top of Page

walterv

USA
14829 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2020 :  14:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIP LES, yo will be missed :(

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Reel Antsy

USA
3133 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2020 :  18:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am very sorry to hear of this news. I haven't logged in for some time and just recently found out via FB. Les was a great guy and although I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him in person, I held him in high regard. Rest easy Les, you're in good hands now.

Jamie
1985 Trojan F32

Edited by - Reel Antsy on Jun 29 2020 18:21:30
Go to Top of Page

JeffN

13083 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  14:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no, just saw this. All downwind sailing now, Les. So odd to think that we could be closer to someone just on BE than old friends in real life. Rest easy, Skipper.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didnít understand the assignment, and I told them they didnít understand life. ~John Lennon
Go to Top of Page

DeeVee

USA
3450 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  16:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember not too long after I joined BE, there was an online navigation class that provided and handling by Les, since I knew little to nothing on how to safely navigate water way, I signed up for the class, with so many questions in the book, I was afraid to ask but Mr. Les Hall took me in seriously and explained all of my questions in detail with pictures attached, in the end I was a second guy finished the class with an approved/certificate from Les. Since then, Iíve use what I learned from Les and the BE members to make sure my family will have a safe and enjoyable day on the water. Mr. Les Hall, you will always be my guiding light for whenever Iím on the water. Rest in Peace Les. You will be missed.
Go to Top of Page

DwightSch

USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  20:27:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
R.I.P. Les, so sorry to your family and this group, who will miss you from this day forward. See you on the other side.
Go to Top of Page

OBX Boater

USA
1470 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2020 :  21:33:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad news that we have dreaded hearing. I am not the operator of the size of vessels that most of folks here do, but from my first "sign-on" Les never made me feel like anything of a "lesser-value" member of the forum. He always seemed to know just the right time to gently nudge me toward a solution, or smack with the "Threat of the Ban-Hammer" if it was warranted. I imagine in a different "life" that Les would been a perfect sort of grade-school teacher! I'm just thankful that we got to know him by this way. Elaine, I would like to send my most sincere condolences for your loss. I will pray for you and your family, for strength, comfort and peace as you go through the difficult time ahead. May God bless you and yours.
Go to Top of Page

pdecat

USA
37049 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2020 :  16:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elaine:
It is hard to believe that the end has come. Les was a friend I had never met. He improved a part of the world, inspired many and was always ready to help.
He is missed. Condolences and best wishes to you and the family for the future.
Regards,

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Tim R

USA
9196 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2020 :  10:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iím very sorry to hear about Les. Hang in there folks and stay safe!
Go to Top of Page

TJM

1229 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2020 :  16:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My heart skipped a beat when I read this a short while ago. Les and George thru Boatered have changed my life forever. I started my boating back in the late 1980's and it has evolved with the knowledge gained from here. My wife and I currently live aboard full time because of Boatered. The years of continual knowledge and humorous stories have kept us very active. He will be missed, that is for certain.
Condolences to Elaine.

Tom
41' President
Go to Top of Page

jpowell

USA
915 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  11:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have an obituary link that they could please share here ?

Jay Powell
Sailfish 245DC
"Less Cha-Ching"
Go to Top of Page

Brian N

USA
18932 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2020 :  12:04:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jpowell

Does anyone have an obituary link that they could please share here ?

I have not seen one appear in the local papers...

Edited by - Brian N on Jul 29 2020 21:06:05
Go to Top of Page

BillK

2466 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2020 :  16:08:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear. I joined this site back in 2000 when I bought my first SeaRay. Countless conversations with Les and George, especially back in the BoatFix days. I never met George or Les, but they seemed like old friends - I terribly sad day for the BoaterEd group. RIP my friend.
Go to Top of Page

blake

USA
6094 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2020 :  07:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just found out in another thread. I've been around since 01 and both George and Les have just been a part of me online. So sad.
Go to Top of Page

InTheMusic

1 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2020 :  22:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked with Les and Elaine at Boatfix.com and over the years learned to know Les very well. They took care of me like family, and I always enjoyed getting to learn the work he put into his business each day, in an industry I was happy to be a part of, and truly cared about. I learned over the years how many lives he touched, and the community he created, and I know that will never be forgotten. I will miss him... and it's so great to see the comments here of people's lives he touched, because he too had a great impact on mine.

Take care Les, keep on eye on us in the open seas. I'll be thinking of you, while your legacy lives on!

"MikeM2"

Mike
Go to Top of Page

RumDiet

Fair Warning II
1074 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2020 :  14:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sad news - the end of an era - RIP Les- Condolences Elaine

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals
dying of nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Philyteach

USA
2524 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2020 :  19:15:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My condolences to the Admiral. While I don't get here as often as I used to, this is one of my favorite places. Thanks to Les for making this fine home and inviting me into it. You'll be missed my friend.

---
Okay, I'll bite. Does this tagline fix it all?
Go to Top of Page

jtybt15

USA
25457 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  03:21:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks BE for providing a place to become knolegeable in all things boating and the people who pradtice it. So, where does a GTBC go...up or down?

Charlie

There is much to be said, in a world like ours, for taking the world as you find it and fishing with a worm.-Bliss Perry, 1904

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.48 seconds to load Snitz Forums 2000