Forums
 Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.
 5.0 L Volvo Penta twins,, Voltage Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blue Cruiser

49 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  13:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both voltage gauges historically indicated 13 volts. Today the port gauge is at 12 volts, while the starboard gauge reads 13 volts. Is my port alternator going out? Both serpentine belts are in good shape, no cracks and not slipping. What should I be checking? The engines have just under 1100 hours. Could the port voltage gauge be faulty?

Radioactive

USA
15871 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  14:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Port engine battery may be nearing EoL.

Bill

"No matter where you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page

sugilbert

L'Chiam
3754 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  17:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What does each read when battery switch is on 'Both' ?
Your problem is likely the battery, as (Caution-I speak Merc talk) only 1 alternator is hooked up.

Steve
"L'Chiam" 29' 2000 Regal Commodore 2660 (2765) T/4.3 Alphas
Go to Top of Page

pdecat

USA
37049 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  18:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup batteries need to be checked

Bruce

Go to Top of Page

Sandy

USA
9337 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2020 :  19:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes check AT the batteries with engine Off & On-running, since you could have a noticeable voltage loss between batteries and the dash gauge or MFD . Compare to the dash gauges .

And if you don't have a battery tester, I'd suggest you take them to any 12 v battery store ( auto parts, etc., ) and have them both conductance tested and resistance load tested for free.

I find this printing conductance tester handy:
https://www.midtronics.com/testers/mdx-p300/
I print out , date it and tape it to the batteries for future reference. Use it on all my boat batteries, cars and those of friends.

Tip: If you get a not-fully satisfactory reading on the conductance test when connecting to the lug posts for instance, try the test again connecting to the threaded studs terminal posts, or vice versa.

Results between the 2 can sometimes vary a lot ( "Bad" vs "Good" and discrepancy between remaining CCA results) .
Suggest you use the terminals with the Good results even if it requires and adapter.

Threaded posts, especially, can be compromised by over tightening the nut w/o using a thin wrench to stabilize the base hex on many batteries.
But sometimes the studs work better than the lug posts.

Sandy

Edited by - Sandy on Jul 02 2020 19:53:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
BoaterEd © BoaterEd Go To Top Of Page
This page took 0.44 seconds to load Snitz Forums 2000